Select your GMC model
Select your GMC year
GMC paint code
Don't know your paint code? Click here for help .
Still need help? Call us at 971-770-2372 or email us at CustomerService@ERAPaints.com
Get your GMC touch up paint quickly and easily with our online matching system.
Bring the shine back to your Switchblade Silver Metallic 2010 Acadia with your best in class, touch up paint.
Our GMC touch up paint provides an ideal color match and will get your vehicle shining again in no time.
At ERA, we aim to provide our customers with all the information necessary to complete the touch up paint process from the comfort of your garage. Whether you need GM paint codes, GMC touch up paint, or even 2018 GMC Sierra colors, we have the products and information that will help you get the job done.
With the information in this article, alongside our extensive YouTube library of how-to videos, even a novice can repair dings on their vehicle. You’ll find a variety of information on the process, as well as what tools are best for the job.
The products we sell at ERA Paints are the same as those used by the body shops, so you’re using professional-grade products. On top of that, everything purchased with us comes with free shipping.
- How to find your GMC paint code
- How do you use GMC touch up paint?
- What GMC paint product should you use?
- Repairing your GMC: What supplies do you need?
- What are the easiest GMC colors to maintain?
- Should you fix a scratch or ding on your GMC straight away?
For more extensive walkthrough guides, be sure to check out our YouTube page, which outlines the entire process in detail. We also have an FAQ guide for the most commonly asked questions. If you still need any additional help, give us a call at 971-770-2372.
How to find your GMC paint code
Throughout the different models and iterations, GMC paint codes have changed locations several times. You’ll need to keep an eye out for the Service Parts Identification sticker, which contains a variety of information on the vehicle. The label is usually white, silver or black, and this varies from model to model. The list below contains the most common locations. However, it may be in a different spot, to find your GMC paint codes:
- Open your driver’s side door and check in the glove box
- If it is not here, move round to the driver’s side and check on the left underside of the driver’s seat.
- Lastly, check on the rear pillar of the passenger side door.
Color names do not represent GM paint codes and GMC codes. Instead it is represented by a string of numbers and letters.
Example: U 8555
Paint Code 8555 represents the color Black, whereas 8624 represents the color White. You may also see it prefixed with BC/CC or WA. GM uses the same code for multiple color names; for example, White and Olympic White share the same color code but have different names.
If your service identification sticker is not present in any of the locations above, you have a few options:
- Call us at 971-770-2372, and we can help identify the correct paint code. We are available from 6:00 am to 2:00 pm Monday to Friday, and 8:00 am to 1:00 pm on Saturdays
- Or email us at CustomerService@ERAPaints.com
- Speak with the previous owner, and they may be able to give you the information
- Use our online selector tool to identify your GMC paint code
At ERA Paints, we sell professional-grade GMC touch up paint that offers a perfect manufacturer’s match and provides a flawless factory finish.
How do you use GMC touch up paint?
Whether you have an Indigo Blue Metallic GMC Topkick or just need to apply 2018 GMC Terrain colors, the process is practically the same. However, before starting always make sure to check the instructions that come with the paint you ordered.
Below is the step by step process for touching up your GMC. You’ll have your GMC shining again in no time. We advise you to do the work in the shade and with temperatures of at least 50 degrees F, although 70 degrees F is optimal.
Clean and Prepare
- Clean your GMC – Use soap and water to clean the scratch
- Sand the damage – 320 and 600 grit sandpaper is perfect for smooth out the damage on your vehicle. It also helps the paint bond better.
- Reclean your vehicle – Remove any material left over from sanding use wax and grease remover.
- Allow the vehicle to dry. You can use a towel to aid the process, but don’t get it caught in any unsanded areas.
- Apply Tape – Create a 10 inch boundary around the scrape to stop the paint getting on other areas of your vehicle
OEM Touch Up Paint Application
- Primer application – Apply the primer in several thin layers. Wait 10 minutes between each use. This stage helps the GMC touch up paint bond better. Dry for 30 minutes afterward.
- Touch up paint application – Apply the touch-up paint in thin coats until it is in line with the surrounding area. We recommend at least three layers with a wait time of ten minutes in between. Dry for 30 minutes afterward.
- Clearcoat Application – After you have applied GMC touch up paint, you must seal it with several layers of clear coat. Again, wait between each coat.
- Allow everything to dry overnight.
The above steps are just a guideline. Please check out our YouTube page for an extensive library of videos that give more detail on the process. We also have a frequently asked question section on our website, so please check this out for common issues. Otherwise, give us a call, and our staff members will be able to provide you with more information on the process.
What GMC paint product should you use?
Typically, there are three main products that you can use to complete your GMC touch up paint repairs. The product you choose will depend on the size and severity of the damage. Your options are:
- GMC touch up paint jars
- GMC touch up spray canister
- GMC touch up paint pens
At ERA Paints, we get a lot of inquiries about paint pens. At ERA, we operate on a quality-first policy, meaning we only offer the best products to our customers. Paint pens do not provide the great finish we have come to expect from our products. For metallic colors like Sheer Silver Metallic 2011 Canyon, paint pens don’t lay the color correctly, and it tends to flake. Overall, they don’t provide the flawless factory finish we have come to expect from the products we sell.
For 2017 GMC truck colors and all other models, we recommend using a spray can. Our 12oz cans provide excellent coverage and offer a flawless factory finish. They are ideal for nearly all touch-up repair jobs. You can also purchase a trigger to make them even easier to use.
If the damage is smaller than a coin, we recommend using GMC touch up paint bottles. These come with small applicators that allow you to intricately lay the paint layer after layer. It gives you a lot of control over the entire paint application process.
Repairing your GMC: What supplies do you need?
When applying GM touch up paint and fixing up your Dark Labyrinth Metallic 2013 GMC Yukon, it is crucial to have the right tools for the job. With the right supplies, you’ll get a great finish and restore your vehicle to its former glory. You will need:
- Primer if the scratch is down to the metal
- Use our OEM touch up paint in either a spray can or jar
- You need clear coat to seal it at the end and get the perfect color match
- Wax and grease remover to clean and prep the vehicle
- Have some soap and water on hand
- Use 320 and 600 grits sandpaper to smooth the area
- Masking tape protects the rest of GMC
- A towel puts a shine on your GMC after the clear coat has set
- Nitrile gloves to protect your hands
We offer everything above in a GMC touch up paint kit that makes the process even more hassle-free. You can purchase everything individually, but the bundles work out cheaper.
What are the easiest GMC colors to maintain?
Maintenance costs are often something that catches vehicle owners by surprise. If you are not careful, these costs can sneak up on you and increase your yearly spend significantly. Some GMC Sierra colors are easier to maintain than GMC Terrain colors because they highlight dirt and scrapes while others hide it. So, consider our list below of the easiest colors to sustain before you make your next purchase.
- Silver, white, and gray colors like the Onyx Sierra, and Granite GMC are renowned for being easy to maintain.
- White is generally great for hiding dust and minor scratches. It also doesn’t hold heat, so it’s great for warmer climates.
- Light colors require the least effort maintenance wise
- Metallic colors like 2001 Space Blue Metallic GMC Jimmy are very labor-intensive to maintain if damaged. The paint matching process is slightly different for metallic colors, so it can be trickier to repair.
- Dark colors tend to highlight scratches and scrapes, so they can often require a lot of maintenance, but you can get away with more in regards to dirt and dust. Black also holds a lot of heat, which isn’t great for warmer locations.
Choosing an easy to maintain color means you’ll spend less of your time managing the exterior of your GMC, mainly if it hides dirt well. While color shouldn’t be a deal-breaker for your next car, certainly consider it before buying.
Should you fix a scratch or ding on your GMC straight away?
Small scratches can be easily overlooked, especially if they aren’t an immediate eyesore or are in hard to reach places. However, we recommend not waiting until the damage gets any worse and doing the repairs as soon as possible, we’ve outlined some reasons below.
- Stop the damage spreading – even small scratches can open your vehicle up to the elements, mainly if you live somewhere with more severe weather. Long term constant exposure to harsh weather will cause damage to spread.
- Prevent rust setting in – If the scratch is deeper than surface level, rainwater can affect the underlying body of your GMC and cause the spread of rust. It would be a shame to see vehicles like a 2007 GMC Savana in Victory Red engulfed in rust.
- Avoid costly repairs – Repairing a scratch early means that you will most likely be able to do it at home. However, if you wait and rust has set in, or the damage has spread it is going to cost you more because you’ll have to organize a visit to a body shop
- Maintain the GMC’s value – Bodywork damage is often superficial but can severely affect the value of your vehicle when you go to sell it. Small dings can be used as a bargaining chip by the buyer.
It may seem like a serious undertaking to repair your vehicle, but with ERA Paints touch up kits fixing the damage at home is simple and straightforward. So, save yourself some time and money by catching that scratch early.
With our extensive range of GMC colors and paint codes, completing the touch up paint process at home is easier than ever. Why waste money on a body shop when you are using the same paint? Don’t wait, order now, and get free shipping.