Select your jeep model
Select your jeep year
jeep paint code
Don't know your paint code? Click here for help
Use our extensive range of Jeep colors and Jeep touch up paint to restore your paint job to its original factory finish.
With our matching system, you’ll find an ideal color match regardless of whether you are looking for 2016 Jeep colors, Mopar touch up paint, or even paint for your classic 1985 Jeep.
Whether you are looking for Jeep touch up paint, Jeep colors, or Jeep codes, ERA Paints have all the information you need to make the process as simple as possible. The guides that we provide will help you to repair any scratches, scrapes or chips on your Jeep paint job.
Looking for Copper Pearl for your 2012 Jeep Compass? Mellow Yellow for your 1975 Jeep Wagoneer? Or Jeep hardtop paint for your 4×4? Look no further because ERA Paints has the correct Jeep paint for you.
We offer exceptional value to all of our customers, and all orders come with free shipping. So, it is easier than ever to achieve that great finish without spending a fortune.
Our Jeep touch up paint guide is intended to be used by anyone who wants to complete the touch up paint process by themselves.
This guide will cover:
- How to find your Jeep paint code
- How to repair your vehicle with Jeep touch up paint
- The correct paint tools to use
- The best equipment to make your life easy
- Whether you should you fix your Jeep paint job or go to a body shop
- How long it takes to repair a scratch
If you have any additional questions about the touch up paint process, then feel free to give our customer care team a call at 971-770-2372. Our experts can answer any questions you may have. You can also check out our library of how-to videos that show the Jeep touch up paint process in detail and our FAQ section to answer any additional questions.
Finding your Jeep color code. Where to look and what it means.
The location of your Jeep paint color and Jeep paint code will vary depending on the model you have. However, the Jeep code will usually be located in one of a few different spots.
To locate the color code on a modern Jeep:
- Look for a blue or silver VIN tag with a barcode on it
- Check the door jamb on the driver’s side.
- Look in the firewall
- Check the core support or even under the seat on the driver’s side
- For older models, look on top of the radiator. You may have to clean the area to read the code
The Jeep ID tag contains a lot of information on it and will be hard to miss because of the barcode, which spans the width of the label.
Jeep paint codes are typically three characters long and can contain either numbers or letters.
For example: PW1
The color code above is for Stone White for a 2007 Jeep Cherokee.
As with all manufacturers, Jeep uses the same color formula across a wide variety of its vehicles but each may a different name, depending on the model. This means the Hydro Blue on your Wrangler may have a different name on your friends Wagoneer.
If you can’t find the ID tag in any of the locations stated above, don’t worry, you can get the Jeep color code by:
- Calling Jeep’s North America hotline on 1-877-426-5337. Once you provide them with your VIN, they can give you the code over the phone.
- Use our online selector tool that allows you to choose the make and model of your Jeep. If you still can’t find the code, give us a call, and our customer care team can help.
How to repair scratches on your Jeep (Wrangler, Rhino, Gobi, Compass, Wagoneer, and all others)
Fixing the scratch, scrape or chip on your Jeep at home is going to save you a lot of time and money. While it can seem daunting at first, the process is very straightforward. It means you can restore the Jeep paint job to its original factory finish without having to wait around at an expensive body shop.
Before starting the touch up paint procedure, it is essential to check the weather conditions. Good painting conditions ensure you get a great finish and are essential. To paint your Jeep, you will need a minimum temperature of 70°F and need to make sure the vehicle is not in direct sunlight.
The Jeep touch up paint process steps are:
- Clean the area with Wax & Grease Remover utilizing a lint-free Shop Towel. 15 minutes.
- Sand with 320 and 600 grit sandpaper to smooth the area – 10 minutes
- Clean the area again – 10 minutes
- Apply several thin coats of primer – Wait a minimum of 5 minutes between coats.
- Dry for 1 hour
- Apply ERA Paints Jeep touch up paint. Like the primer do it in several thin coats, waiting a minimum of 20 minutes between coats.
- Dry for at least 40 minutes, or you can wait overnight.
- Spray the damaged area with clear coat three times – Dry for 15 minutes between layers
- Let the Jeep touch up paint dry for at least a day
Before starting, make sure you read the instructions for the Jeep paint color you have purchased, instructions are included with every shipment. The guide above is just an overview of the process, and you can find more detailed instructions using our video library on YouTube. If you have any questions regarding the painting process, give your staff a call, and they can help with any issues you may have.
What paint products can you use to fix your Jeep?
When fixing your Jeep’s paint job at home, you have several options:
- Jeep aerosol spray paint
- Paints Jars of Jeep touch up paint with applicators
- Jeep touch up paint pens
In the interest of quality, we do not recommend or sell Jeep touch up paint pens. At ERA Paints, we demand a high level of quality from all of the products that we recommend. Unfortunately, Jeep touch up paint pens are unable to provide an excellent finish, particularly on more substantial scratches or metallic colors such as Light Khaki Metallic. They result in the paint eventually flaking and are mostly ineffective.
Which choice is the best?
The ideal choice for most DIY paint repair is either paint jars or aerosol spray paint. For small scratches, jars that have dabbers are the best choice because they offer you more control and provide a high degree of accuracy.
If your Maroon Jeep Wrangler has a lot of damage to its paint job, then spray cans are the perfect option for you. Whether it is the bumper on your Tiffany Blue Jeep or the entire door panel on your Chief Blue Jeep, 12-ounce spray cans offer the necessary quantities to get the job done. If you are unsure about the number of canisters you will need, give us a call, and we can advise you on the correct amount.
The equipment you need to fix your Jeep
To achieve great results when restoring your Jeep’s paint job, you must purchase the correct equipment for the job. Whether it is applying PR4 paint or PX8 paint, you will need:
- Wax and grease remover – to ensure the area is clean before applying any products
- Primer – this is used just before the Jeep touch up paint
- Jeep OEM Matched ERA Paints touch up paint
- Clear coat – to seal the damaged area once the paint has been applied
- Sandpaper – 320 or 600 grit sandpaper will help smooth off the damaged area.
- Masking tape – to protect the rest of the vehicle from being exposed to the paint
- A shop towel – to keep the area lint free and the car clean
- Nitrile gloves – to protect your hands throughout the repair process.
We sell each of the individual products listed above. However, a cheaper option would be to purchase one of the Jeep touch up paint kits that we stock. These include all of the necessary items in one package that saves you money.
Should you repair your Jeep paint job yourself? Or go to a body shop?
Using one of our Jeep touch up paint kits means that you are going to save yourself a lot of money and time. The advantages of doing it yourself are:
- Avoid having to pay a fortune for labor costs, and the products you purchase from us will be delivered free of charge.
- Get to do the whole process without having to leave the house
- Get to operate on your schedule not wait on the body shop to fix your vehicle.
Completing the work yourself is ideal if the damage to your Jeep is minor. Issues like sun damage or small to medium-sized scratches can be done at home. Depending on your experience, you could also look to do large areas at home too.
For larger areas:
However, for large areas of damage that require extensive repair, a body shop may be the best option because:
- It is hard to produce a flawless factory finish on bigger areas without specialized equipment. This may include damage after a crash where large sections of the vehicle are damaged.
- Fixing large areas could require a lot of time and materials, which may work out to be less cost-effective.
- They have the technical skill and experience to handle larger areas.
When deciding on which option to go with, consider the size of the damage and whether you would be comfortable performing the Jeep paint job repair. If you have the time available and the damage wasn’t the result of a crash, then completing it at home is the perfect option.
How long does it take to fix a scratch if you do it yourself?
The primary determining factor when trying to estimate how long your repair will take is the severity of the damage. There are a couple of different types of damage, and each will take a different amount of time.
Types of damage:
- Clear coat damage – clear coat is applied at the final step of the touch up paint process. Damage to this isn’t hard to fix as it is the top layer of a paint job and you will not have to sand any of the vehicle’s body or apply paint. Therefore, you could get this damaged fixed in just over an hour, which includes the initial prep with Wax & Grease Remover.
- Paint damage – This is the most common type of scratch and is the ideal candidate for doing it at home. It is crucial to go through the full Jeep touch up paint process that we outlined above. Overall, the repair could take around three to four hours and then needs to dry overnight.
- Severe damage – If the area has dents or holes in the metal, it may be best to take the vehicle to professionals. Unfortunately, the time frame will depend mainly on their schedule.
Fixing the paint job on your Jeep doesn’t need to be complicated. With our Jeep touch up paint kits and online color code finder, the process is simple and straightforward. If you have any other issues that haven’t been covered in this article, please give your customer service team a call.